Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The siren song of electronics

I never thought I could get turned on by navigational equipment. And if you've ever had the same thought then you've probably never seen the CPV550! This beauty will do almost everything but make your morning coffee. And I'm betting Brian could figure out a way to make it do that too if we wanted. Now if I can just get my own weather radar! I'm pretty sure I've heard a saying that boating is a rich man's sport and I'm beginning to see how this saying came about, because nothing that goes on a boat is bargain priced. I knew to expect this but I thought I'd swallow my own tongue when I saw that even the charts are over 100 bucks! And just for one small area. You'd think for that amount you could at least get from Virginia to Florida but, no, the one we bought the other day only got us from the northern coast of NC to the middle part of Virginia! This is how a typical conversation goes between me and Brian nowadays: Brian: "Baby, look at this great radar!" Me: "That is a great radar! How much is it?" Brian: "$1250." Me: "Of course it is." Brian: "Baby, check out these cool binoculars. They have a built-in compass!" Me: "Those are cool binoculars! How much are they?" Brian: "$897." Me: "Of course they are." These days I find myself thinking something is a bargain if it's much under $1000 and I'm usually a bargain-shopper extraordinaire. Alas, I don't think I'm going to find any boating equipment at my local Big Lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment