Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Man vs. Mole: The Release

In the last installment of Man vs. Mole the Mole Hunter had prevailed and captured two moles which, after a day or so of mole patrol, we determined were the only culprits on our premises. Friday found us trekking up the street with our mole containment unit to some vacant lots and trails that lead to our local beach, where we released our new furry pals in a nicely damp and wormy-looking patch of dirt. I was proud of my Mole Hunter for finding a non-lethal method of ridding ourselves of the cute, but pesky, varmints. Alas, after some follow-up mole patrol yesterday, the MH informed me that there were signs of activity in the front yard. So the Mole Hunter is back on the job.

Now on to another topic entirely, but one of my favorites, books. I am a librarian by trade - probably one by birth really - and possibly emerged from the womb waving a book and begging someone to read to me. I have recently been culling my book collection, since it would likely sink the boat, and it is proving to be a painful process. Amputees often feel phantom limbs and I wonder if I will experience phantom books from now on? I have joined a book blogs group, and have actually been friended by a few people, so I'm thinking maybe I should actually start mentioning some books in this here blog. My life of late hasn't allowed for much lounging about with book in one hand and bonbons in the other but I have been rereading a recent favorite of mine, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. There aren't many books that I will read more than once but his laugh-out-loud style always brings me back for more. Sedaris is also known for his commentary on NPR's This American Life and Me Talk Pretty One Day was on the bestseller list for, well, a long time or, at least, quite a while. Nothing all that exciting happens in Sedaris' books but his wry humor and sarcasm can make a walk to the mailbox entertaining. One of my favorite quotes from MTPOD (on growing up gay):
When asked what we wanted to be when we grew up, we hid the truth and listed the people we wanted to sleep with when we grew up. "A policeman or a fireman or one of those guys who works with high tension wires."
Surprisingly, I find that I am laughing just as much as I did the first time I read this personal treasure. So, if you haven't given David Sedaris a try, do your funnybone a favor and pick up one of his books soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment